In Florida, a conviction for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) can carry penalties such as imprisonment, probation, and heavy fines. Worse still, you could be charged with vehicular homicide if you end up killing someone while drunk driving.
There are several alternatives get home if you’ve had too much to drink. If you have been charged with drunk driving in Fort Lauderdale, a criminal defense attorney may be able to help get the charges reduced or dismissed.
Five Ways to Ensure You Arrive Home Alive
- Taxis – The most common mode of transport after a night of drinking, calling a cab is the most responsible thing to do once you’ve realized you have had too much to drink. The National Taxi Directory provides local cab service in your region by simply calling 1-800-TAXICAB. Other hired vehicles include limos and shuttle buses to ensure you and your friends arrive home safely.
- Public transportation – More cost-effective than taxis, public transportation is another way to get home alive. In Fort Lauderdale, Broward County Transit operates the bus system throughout the county, with connections to Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties. At $1.75 per way, bussing to and from your destination will likely be the cheapest way to avoid drunk driving.
- Plan for a designated driver – Arranging for a sober friend or family member to pick you up is yet another way to ensure you aren’t busted for driving under the influence. You may also hire a designated driver service ahead of time at cheaper rates than traditional taxi service; the driver will transport you and your companions in your own car and make as many stops as you choose for an hourly rate.
- Driver services for you and your vehicle – For times when you and your vehicle both need transportation, there are paid services available where a driver will come to your location and drive you home in your car. Usually charging a flat rate pickup fee plus mileage, companies like BeMyDD offer their services in Fort Lauderdale and other Florida cities.
- Towing Services – Serving all of Florida, the AAA Auto Club South offers free towing services for you and your car during the holiday season. Called “Tow-to-Go”, the program was established in 1998 and operates during various times of the year, like St. Patrick’s Day and New Year’s Eve. There are other local towing services available year round as well.
Fort Lauderdale Criminal Defense for Driving Under the Influence
We all make mistakes. Drinking alcohol impairs judgement, which could make you believe you are capable of driving. Hiring an experienced DUI attorney at the Falk & Ross law firm can help you get your life back on track by challenging evidence and determining whether the police had probable cause to pull you over.
Field tests, such as breathalyzer and blood tests, may also be inaccurate. A DUI conviction can affect your future job opportunities, hinder you from travelling, and your auto insurance premiums could rise as well. You don’t have to take a DUI charge lying down; retaining the aid of an attorney is your best chance to defend yourself and protect your future. Call 305-741-6997 today for a free consultation.