To receive a hardship license after you have been convicted of a DUI in Florida, you may be required to have an ignition interlock device installed inside your vehicle. This device will prevent your car from starting if alcohol is detected on your breath. The time requirements for participation in the ignition interlock program are:
- first DUI conviction – however long the court orders;
- first conviction if blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .15 or over, or if there was a minor in the car – a minimum of 6 months;
- second DUI conviction – a minimum of 1 year;
- a second DUI conviction if BAC is .15 or above, or if there was a minor in the vehicle – a minimum of 2 years;
- a third DUI conviction – a minimum of 2 years;
- a fourth or subsequent DUI conviction – a minimum of 5 years.
Participation in the ignition interlock program will include costs such as a $12 interlock fee, a $70 dollar installation fee, and approximately $65 for monthly monitoring and calibration. These prices are subject to change and other fees may also be applied.
If you have been charged with your fourth DUI in Florida, a South Florida DUI defense lawyer can investigate your case, and explain your options for fighting the charges against you.
Contacting a South Florida DUI Defense Lawyer
If you are facing criminal charges in South Florida, your legal team is your best defense. Contact the South Florida DUI defense lawyer team at Falk & Ross to discuss your case – 877-663-5110.