When you’ve been arrested for a DUI, your DUI defense lawyer in Florida can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case, whether you’re a first-time offender or facing charges for the second or third time. But before you hire a drunk driving defense attorney in Fort Lauderdale to handle your case, make sure that you do your due diligence and thoroughly investigate your options. Once you’ve got a list of several attorneys who you’ve compiled from online listings, trusted friend recommendations and lawyer directories, it’s time to begin meeting with them, see online list of lawyers here http://ronaldsaperpc.com/child-support-lawyers-in-az/.
Most attorneys offer consultations free of charge, in which they will give you an evaluation of your case and give you the opportunity to ask questions about their history, background, credentials and case management policies.
Questions that you should consider asking of attorneys and potential counselors for your case should include those that touch on DUI defense experience, success rate, billing policies and so on. Before you meet with any attorneys in a consultation, assemble a list of questions that address each critical area of importance.
Possible questions could include the following:
- How long have you been handling DUI cases in Florida, and how many cases have you tried?
- Have you had any cases similar to mine – if so, what are the potential obstacles in a case like mine? What about advantages?
- Do you handle only DUI cases or do you work in other practice areas?
- How much of your caseload consists of DUI cases?
- Are you a solo practitioner or do you work with a large firm?
- Who will handle my case – an attorney or a case manager?
- What are your costs and billing procedures and what kind of up-front costs can I expect?
- If you charge a retainer, what happens if the retainer runs out?
- What is your overall success rate in handling DUI cases?
- Do you have any references?
- How many cases have you taken to trial, and what is your trial success rate?
- Have you ever been the recipient of any disciplinary action by the Florida Bar or any other state bar association?
- Do you have legal malpractice insurance?
- How often will I receive progress reports on the status of my case, and who will contact me?
- Can you guarantee my charges will be dropped?*
*The last question is a trick question, of course. Any attorney who guarantees that your charges will be dropped is one to avoid. In most criminal law issues, there are no guarantees until the legal decision comes down, so if a lawyer is quick to make promises that seem too good to be true, take caution, because they probably are.
If you’ve been charged with a Florida DUI, speak with a DUI defense lawyer. Florida takes drunk driving allegations very seriously, and the penalties of being convicted of a drunk driving offense are severe. An attorney will defend your rights under the law and attack the holes in the prosecution’s case against you. You deserve legal representation that you can trust, and you can have it.
Contacting a Drunk Driving Defense Attorney in Fort Lauderdale
If you are arrested for driving under the influence in Florida, your legal team is your best defense. The defense team you choose to represent you in court, defend your rights, and relentlessly pursue your case could be the difference between jail time and getting on with your life. Contact a Florida DUI defense attorney team at Falk & Ross for a no-cost evaluation of your case – 1-877-663-5110.