When You’re Charged with a Petit Theft Crime in Miami, Florida

Many people assume that petit theft is not a serious crime, but it can leave a mark on your permanent record that will be difficult to eradicate and can cast doubt on your character. If you have been charged with theft in Florida, or charged with any crime, reach out to a team of Miami defense lawyers who can help you by:  

  • explaining to you your charges;
  • defending your rights; and
  • facilitating a favorable lawful outcome.   

Understanding Petit Theft in Florida 

Petit theft is defined as the deprivation of another person’s property, the taking of another’s property for oneself, or preventing another from reaping the benefit of his or her property temporarily or permanently. Although petit theft is a less serious charge than grand theft, which is a felony and can carry not only several years in prison but also thousands of dollars in fines, it can still disrupt your life significantly. 

Petit theft, a first-degree misdemeanor, is considered the theft of another’s property that is valued less than $300. If convicted, you could be sentenced up to a year in jail and fined $1,000. In the event that the value of the goods is less than $100, you will be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor and can be sentenced up to 60 days in jail and fined $500.  

How Miami Defense Lawyers Can Help 

If you have been charged with the crime of theft in Florida – even petit theft – you could be facing jail time and up to $1,000 in fines, not to mention that you will be branded as a criminal. Speak with an attorney from a team of defense lawyers who has handled cases like yours before and understands the criminal justice system’s standards of proof and reasonable doubt. Consult with an attorney about your case today. 

Innocent people are charged with a crime they didn’t commit each and every day, including charges of theft in Florida and in other states. It can happen when you’re not paying attention to what you’re doing in the store, a particularly easy hazard to stumble upon for those of us who lead busy lives. If you’ve been arrested for theft and don’t know what to do or who to trust, speak with lawyer who can explain the circumstances of your case to you.  

An attorney can help you defend your legal rights when you’re charged with a crime and protect you from any dirty tricks on the part of the police or prosecution. 

When You’re Charged with Petit Theft in Florida, Don’t Panic 

It’s easy to get distracted while you’re out at the store, especially if you’re trying to balance several responsibilities at once. 

Just imagine: you’re taking an important call, trying to supervise your children, and get your household shopping done. You put an item down in your cart, and then a few minutes later you accidentally lay your purse or your coat over it without even noticing. You cash out through the register and then suddenly there’s a security guard shouting at you, upsetting your children, calling you a thief and threatening to call the police unless you confess to it. 

These underhanded tactics – saying they’ll call the police unless you confess – are just dirty tricks to make your life easier. A loss prevention officer or security guard is going to call the police anyway, and by confessing to something you did or didn’t do, you are only making the future more difficult for yourself.  

Instead of confessing you should:  

  • stay calm;
  • invoke your constitutional right to remain silent; and
  • contact a defense team who you can count on to aggressively and passionately defend your rights, demanding the prosecution meet its burden of proof. 

Contacting Miami Defense Lawyers 

Being arrested for theft in Florida is no joke. If you have been charged with a crime, legal counsel is your best support network. The defense team you choose to represent you in court, defend your rights, and relentlessly pursue your case could be the difference between jail time and getting on with your life. Contact the Miami defense lawyers at Falk & Ross to discuss your case – 1-877-663-5110.